Portsmouth, RI – The Newport County Branch- NACCP will host a Fourth of July commemoration and celebration of the birth of our country from 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 4 at Patriots Park in Portsmouth. There will be no speaking program.
The Hon. Paul L. Gaines, Sr., former Mayor of the City of Newport, lifetime NAACP Member, and Chair of the Committee for Renovation of Patriots Park, will be reverentially remembered.
The General Public is invited. Anyone who wishes to bring a flower in memory of Mr. Gaines is most welcomed to do so.
Social distancing, mask-wearing and crowd size regulations will be honored.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits