Portsmouth, RI – Common Fence Music will present Jake Blount in a free online concert on Sunday, August 9 at 7 pm. A link will be provided at commonfencemusic.org at showtime and all tips go to the artist.
Jake Blount is an award-winning banjoist, fiddler, singer and scholar based in Providence, RI. He is one of a small but growing group of fine black Americana musicians who remind us all that much of Americana music is actually black in origin.
Jake’s newly released album, Spider Tales, has received wide acclaim. “An incredible example of historically informed, beautifully played old-time music.”-Rhiannon Giddens. “An instant classic.”-Jude Rogers, The Guardian.
Sponsored in part by a generous grant from the Rhode Island State Council for the Arts.The mission of Common Fence Music is to celebrate and preserve diverse folk music traditions by creating community-based opportunities for cultural exchange.
More From What’s Up Newp
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author
- International Tennis Hall Of Fame acquires tennis-inspired art collection from Hall of Famer Gianni Clerici
- Mask mandate to be lifted for those fully vaccinated on May 18; most remaining COVID-19 restrictions to be lifted on May 21
- John E. Fogarty Foundation provides more than $175,000 in grants to 31 organizations across Rhode Island
- Obituary: Berit M. Hattendorf