Sankofa Community Connection invites the public in celebrating Juneteenth at Newport City Hall at 5 pm today.
June 19 marks Juneteenth, a celebration of the de facto end of slavery in the United States.
Newport’s celebration will include viewing of the Juneteenth flag, flown for the first time in Newport’s history at City Hall, reading of the proclamation, and guest speakers.
After, the celebration will move to Community Baptist Church, for a celebration of the foods of Juneteenth (will include a vegetarian soul food grab and go dinner). More Info Here
More From What’s Up Newp
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “Those Who Wish Me Dead”
- Renowned RI stone carver Nick Benson to create unique art installation at Farm Fresh RI
- Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project to resume training classes
- How America’s partisan divide over pandemic responses played out in the states
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author