Governor Gina M. Raimondo is directing Rhode Island flags at all state agencies and buildings to be flown at half-staff in memory of former Mayor of Newport Paul Gaines. The flags will remain at half-staff until sunset on Wednesday, July 1.
“Mayor Paul Gaines was a trailblazer who had an unforgettable impact on our state,” said Governor Raimondo. “Newport – and all of Rhode Island – is better for his leadership, his commitment to education, and his kindness. My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones during this difficult time.”
Raimondo also asks Rhode Islanders to lower their flags to half-staff as a mark of respect.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits