Governor Gina M. Raimondo and the Department of Health will provide updates to reporters about Rhode Island’s coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) response today at 1 pm.
Updates as they happen;
Gov: Announces 7 new COVID-19 associated deaths, brings total to 80. Announces 274 new positive COVID-19 cases, total now 3,251 in Rhode Island. There are 213 Rhode Islanders hospitalized.
Director of Health: Decrease in numbers over the last few days has to do with weather, Easter more than a decline in cases.
Director of Health: On 7 new fatalities – 2 in 60s, 2 70s, and 3 in 80s. Of the 7, 3 were residents at nursing homes. One person died was in a facility for people with differing disabilities.
Gov: Governor signed order today on face masks. Beginning this Saturday, all employees of customer-facing businesses, manufacturers, offices, and nonprofits must wear cloth face coverings while at work. Businesses must provide to employees if it is needed. All customer-focused businesses must take steps to reminder customers to wear masks. DBR will be doing random spot checks of businesses beginning Saturday. Will consider business penalties if masks aren’t enforced. Go to commerceri.gov for videos and tips for getting, making, distributing masks.
Director of Health: Cloth face coverings need to cover nose and mouth. The primary role is to reduce the release of infections particles when someone coughs, talks, or sneezes. Wash at least daily, do not share face cloth covering with anyone else.
Take note when looking at RIDOH COVID-19 data that some of it hasn’t been updated in several days (city/town data since 4/10), age/sex data since 4/11). Dr. Alexander-Scott responds to our question on press conference call that data now is being updated every few days. Goal is to update every day soon. https://health.ri.gov/data/covid-19/
This story is developing, check back for updates.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard