What’s Up Newp’s content is free to read, and always will be, but we rely on your support to keep it that way.
It takes just 30 seconds and you can choose the amount.
This obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Home.
Christina Jean Vars, 70, of Middletown, Rhode Island, passed away on February 14, 2020, at Rhode Island Hospital.
Christina was born on October 22, 1949, in Newport, RI, to the late Christina A. (DiMatteo) Laurin. She was the wife of Kevin Vars.
She worked for 36 years at Naval Station Newport, retiring as the Property Transportation Officer, earning the Meritorious Civilian Service Medal for her dedication to her work. She was equally well known as the longtime President of Middletown Pop Warner Football and Cheerleading, devoting 30 years to the program and kids involved.
Christina is survived by her husband, Kevin Vars, their children, Nicola Smith of Tiverton, Michael Porco of Middletown, and Angela Vars of Middletown. She also leaves her two brothers, Steven Laurin and his wife Chris of Portsmouth, and Charles Laurin and his wife Betty of Middletown, and her five grandchildren, Dylan, Benjamin, Reilly, Jaimee, and Katelyn.
Calling hours will be held on Tuesday, February 18, 2020, from 4:00-7:00 PM at the Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
Funeral services will continue on Wednesday, February 19, 2020, at 10:00 AM, from the Memorial Funeral Home, with a service at 11:00 AM, in the St. Columba Catholic Cemetery Chapel, Brown’s Lane, Middletown.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the American Breast Cancer Foundation, 10400 Little Patuxent Parkway Suite 480, Columbia, MD 21044.
More From What’s Up Newp
- Sax greats Abate and Moretti release new albums in 2021
- Easton’s Beach reopens for swimming
- Obituary: Anna Maria DeSousa
- Obituary: Manuel G. Moitoza, III
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “In the Heights”
- The Gamm Theatre Announces Auditions for Season 37 (2021-2022)
- Brian C. Jones: In case of emergency, don’t call me
- RIDOH and DEM are advising people to avoid contact with Almy Pond due to a blue-green algae
- Record Store Day returns Saturday, June 12th
- Newport Polo will host its annual Newport Cup on Saturday
- DEM hosting virtual workshop on draft water quality restoration study for Newport water supply reservoirs
- 32 Open Houses to check out this weekend in Newport County (June 11 – 13)
- Newport leaders to pay respects for former sister-city Mayor
- Governor McKee, RIDOH provide COVID-19 Vaccination Update
- Top 10 ‘must-see and do’ events and attractions in Boston this summer