This holiday season, the Newport String Project celebrates the musicmaking of young violinists, violists and cellists from Newport with a series of three, free, pop-up community performances.
As part of the Project’s intensive educational curriculum, the students participate in twice weekly lessons in violin, viola and cello at Newport’s MLK Center. Brimming with festive cheer, the students have been hard at work polishing some seasonal favorites to strike the right holiday note. A new initiative this year sees the launch of three exciting new student ensembles.
Big Sky Ensemble performs at Elf on December 8th, 12.45pm
The Newport String Project’s advanced orchestra the Big Sky Ensemble will be performing as a preview to the Jane Pickens Theater annual screening of the holiday favorite “Elf”. Catch the students in action on the BIG STAGE at the Jane Pickens starting around 12.45pm – movie begins at 1pm. The only price of admission is a canned goods or packaged food items (as much as you’d like to give). All donations will benefit the MLK Center’s Food Pantry.
Winter Concert at Channing Church on December 11th, 5.30pm
A festive performance party featuring all the students of the Newport String Project. All welcome – potluck cookie reception to follow.
Pinwheel Orchestra performs at Caroling and Crafting on December 14th, 2.30pm
The Newport String Project is delighted to collaborate once again with the Newport County Youth Chorus for its Caroling and Crafting event at Emmanuel Church. Our intermediate ensemble the Pinwheel Orchestra will be on hand to perform some holiday classics and a few fiddle favorites.
As part of its mission to make inspiring musical experiences accessible for all in Newport, the Newport String Project provides free, twice-weekly lessons in violin, viola and cello lessons to forty children from Newport County.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport