The holiday season may just be the most wonderful time of the year to visit Newport.
Fodor’s included Newport this week on its list of the 10 most romantic U.S. destination to spend the holiday season. Here’s what they had to say about The-City-By-The-Sea.
“Add a dash of Gilded Age romance to your holiday in the harbor town of Newport. The Newport Mansions—built by the rich-and-famous at the turn-of-the-20th-century—offer Holiday Evenings at the Newport Mansions, including live music, refreshments, and the chance to stroll exquisitely decorated, softly lit rooms. Here, too, you can attend the Governor’s Ball, take a Holiday Lantern Tour of Newport’s old town, and stroll among twinkling lights along the harbor’s Victorian-age avenues. There’s no shortage of cozy eateries to share a table for two—try White Horse Tavern, America’s oldest tavern (1673), super comfy with a roaring fire, low beamed ceilings, and delish seasonal dishes on the menu. Then unwind in your très chic room and seductive ocean views at The Chanler at Cliff Walk, perfect for a romantic tryst”.
Newport was the only New England city to make the list. As for number 1 on the list? That would be New York City.
More From What’s Up Newp
- What Sold: 29 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (May 3 - 10)
- Obituary: Timothy Howard Jackson
- HGTV Dream Home in Portsmouth hits the market, can now be yours for $2.39 million
- List: States with travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island
- New York Yacht Club submits challenge and evolutionary draft protocol for 37th America's Cup