The Newport Pell Bridge’s 50th Anniversary celebration isn’t over just yet.
On December 4 at 7 pm, join Rhode Island PBS will pay tribute to the iconic bridge with the premiere of THE NEWPORT BRIDGE: A RHODE ISLAND ICON.
“This Rhode Island PBS original proudly chronicles the celebration of this historic event and puts it in historical context through archival footage, vintage photos, and interviews with the dreamers and the builders of this iconic landmark, Rhode Island PBS writes on their Facebook page.
The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority has been celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Newport Pell Bridge all year long. On June 28th, RITBA and dignitaries gathered to celebrate the bridge’s anniversary of opening to traffic, that happened on that day exactly fifty years ago (June 28th 1969).
Trailer for the new Rhode Island PBS Original, “The Newport Bridge: A Rhode Island Icon,”
For more info on PBS and/or to watch it live online when it premiere’s, visit http://www.ripbs.org/home/
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits