The 12th Annual SINGING FOR SHELTER concert is scheduled to take place at Channing Memorial Church, 135 Pelham Street, Newport, RI on Thursday, December 5 from 7:00-9:30 pm. (Doors at 6:30)
The annual holiday concert features many of Aquidneck Island’s well-known musicians who annually join together to raise much-needed funds for our two homeless shelters- Lucy’s Hearth and The McKinney Shelter.
Begun in 2007 by Newporters Anne and Mark Gorman, Singing For Shelter has raised $65,000 for the island’s homeless shelters. This year’s show will feature 30 area musicians playing seasonal favorites and original tunes and is sure to get you in the holiday mood. The show sells out every year.
“As winter approaches, we want to do all we can to help our homeless neighbors,” concert organizer Mark Gorman said. “Every year, these musicians generously give their time and talent to help make Singing For Shelter an uplifting evening that directly benefits our 2 shelters.”
“This year, we are honoring our founders-those folks who have been with us since the very first show: Jack Casey, Ray Davis, Ed Ledwith, Tom Perrotti, Mike Fischman, Ed McGuirl, Rand Bradbury, and Diana and John Michael Skaggs,” Gorman said.
Other performers scheduled to appear include: Jimmy Winters, Carrigan Nelson, Timmy May, Michelle Siegal, John Monllos and Joanne Rodino, Matt Bruneau and Leslie Grimes, Dragonfly Marie, In Tandem, Jonathan Perry, Joe Lambiase, Julio Amaro, Rick Jones, Mike Jackson, Steve Rodrigues and Joe Potenza.
Tickets are $25 each and go on sale November 15 at Lucy’s Hearth, 19 Valley Road in Middletown, or email MGorman20@cox.net or call 401-835-7209. Limited tickets may be available at the door.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager