This story was originally posted on November 13th, it has been updated.
If you thought your beach days were behind you this year, you might want to thing again – there’s a bonfire for a purpose coming to Easton’s Beach later this month.
The Rogers High School Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) announced today that it will host a community bonfire at Easton’s Beach in Newport on Wednesday, November 27 from 6:00-8:00 pm.
UPDATE: 9:15 am at November 27th
“Unfortunately, we have to postpone tonight’s bonfire due to rain the forecast at 6pm,” Rogers High School PTP posted on Facebook this morning. “We are very disappointed and will try to reschedule this event for the spring. Thanks to everyone who helped organize it especially the members of the Rogers HS PTO, Principal Jared Vance, the City of Newport, Npt Fire Dept, Easton’s Beach, and Humphrey’s Paint in Middletown for donating the wooden pallets”.
The PTO will be accepting donations at the event and all money raised will go toward school supplies, field trip funding, and small improvement projects at Rogers High School. The PTO asks everyone to come dressed in RHS school colors, red & black.
“The Rogers High School PTO has been re-energized over the last year by a motivated and positive group of parents and teachers who share the same goal: to help Rogers HS students realize their full potential through school work and community participation,” said co-president Holly Paterson in a press release sent to What’s Up Newp.
“We are ecstatic to have the support of many Rogers HS teachers and our principal, Jared Vance, who attend our monthly meetings with constructive ideas and positive energy which has been instrumental in re-igniting our PTO,” added co-president Dawn Gardner in the release.
“We think events like a community bonfire, to be held on eve of Rogers’ final football game on Thanksgiving morning, is a great way to build community spirit and have a fun event for students, parents, faculty and members of the Newport community,” continued Gardner.
“We hope people will come out for a fun night to support the PTO and an evening at the beach,” said Paterson. “And we also hope many fans will come out to support the Rogers HS football game on Thanksgiving morning, November 28, at 10:15 to see the Vikings take on Tiverton High School.”
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges
- Got storm photos? Send us your pics by 9PM Wednesday
- Obituary: Molly Falconer de Ramel
- Grey Sail Brewing celebrating 10 years
- LIVE BLOG | Rhode Island cancellations, closures, and delays