John A. Domingoes, 89, of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, passed away on November 19, 2019 at St. Elizabeth’s Manor in Bristol.
John was born January 12, 1930, in Newport, RI to Joseph Domingoes and Rosann (Plouff) Domingoes. He grew up in Newport’s Fifth Ward, graduated from Rogers High School, and then served in the Korean War with the United States Marine Corp. John married Nancy, his high school sweetheart, and together they ran Domingoes Construction, their family construction business, for over 63 years. John and Nancy were both active volunteers in their community. John was a member and National Director of the RI Home Builders. He was also a member of the Portsmouth Lions Club where he earned their Community Service Award. John was active with the Portsmouth Portuguese American Citizens Club. Above all, John always put his family first and treasured his role as “Gramps”.
John was preceded in death by his wife Nancy. He is survived by his children; Cathy Betts and her husband Tom of Portsmouth, Jack Domingoes and his wife Deb of Portsmouth, Debbie McFarland and her husband Mike of Portsmouth, and Shari Alvanas and her husband Chris, of Estero, Florida. He is also survived by his grandchildren: Dan, Josh, and Matt Betts, Dustin and Cassidy Alvanas, Cory and Dean Domingoes, and Jennifer McFarland, as well as his five great-grandchildren.
Calling hours will be held on Saturday, November 23, 2019, from 9-11:00 am at Connors Funeral Home 55 West Main Road in Portsmouth.
His funeral will be held immediately following calling hours, at 11:00 am in the Funeral Home Burial will follow at 11:45 am in St. Columba Cemetery Brown’s Lane in Middletown.
Donations may made in memory of John Domingoes to: Alzheimer’s Association Rhode Island Chapter-245 Waterman Street Suite 306 Providence, RI 02906 or to Hope Health Hospice1085 North Main Street Providence RI 02904
Source: Memorial Funeral Home
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals