Aquidneck Community Table has partnered with the Jane Pickens Theater and Event Center to bring the exciting new film narrated by Brie Larson, Fantastic Fungi, The Magic Beneath Us, to Newport this Wednesday evening, November 20.
The film takes viewers on a visual journey through the magical world of fungi with the help of mycologist Paul Stamets and best-selling author, Michael Pollan, among others. Moviegoers will gain an in-depth understanding of the underground network of fungi and a renewed hope in the healing benefits for self and planet.
Aquidneck Growers Market vendor Rhode Island Mushroom Company is working with Stoneacre Brasserie to source a variety of mushrooms for a special event menu including: Chestnut Soup with Brown Beech Mushrooms & Pumpkin Seeds, Stuffed Mushrooms, Crispy Maitakes with Forbidden Black Rice & Romesco, Oyster Mushroom Ravioli with Duck Consomme, to name a few. Reservations are suggested and can be made by calling Stoneacre Brasserie at 401-619-7810, or by visiting Open Table online.
“We are looking forward to bringing this inspirational film to Rhode Island,” said ACT Executive Director, Bevan Linsley in a prepared statement. “The partnership of The Jane Pickens Theater, Rhode Island Mushroom Company and Stoneacre Brasserie presents an opportunity for the community to experience the film and continue the conversation about creating a sustainable planet with folks who align with our mission,” Linsley continued.
Doors open at The Jane Pickens Theater at 6:30 p.m. To purchase tickets for the film, please visit the Jane Pickens Theater and Event Center website at http://janepickens.com/shows/fantastic-fungi . A portion of the proceeds from the film screening and Fantastic Fungi Celebration dinner will be donated to Aquidneck Community Table in support of on-going programming.
Aquidneck Community Table (ACT) works in many different ways to build a healthy local food system: fresh foods at farmers markets, community gardens, and school gardens; programs that inspire young people to love healthy foods; an annual food challenge to eat locally; and a food-scrap collection program to divert food from the waste stream. For more information and to learn about how to be part of ACT, please visit www.aquidneckcommunitytable.org
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates