Metered parking, which is in effect from May 1st through October 31st, will be free beginning on Friday, November 1st.
Off-Season Metered Parking is in effect from November 1st through April 30th, 2020. There is no fee for parking at meters during this time but a 3-hour limit remains in effect until 6 pm daily.
Newport Police Department and their Parking Division do continue to monitor meters and the streets and do enforce the parking code of ordinances throughout the “off-season”
Note: Parking on any city street or in any city lot for more than 24 hours is prohibited.
Public Parking Lots
The City Of Newport operates 5 public parking lots from May 1st through October 31st; Gateway Parking Lot, Mary Street Parking Lot, Easton’s Beach Lot, Long Wharf Lot and Touro Street Parking Lot.
Many of these lots, especially Mary Street in Downtown Newport, are open to the public and allow free parking during the offseason.
The Residential Parking Program restricts curbside parking on designated residential streets from May 1st to October 1st of each year to holders of Resident Parking Permits, visitor passes or temporary permits.
For More Information, Visiting Parking & Transportation
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21