The Museum of Newport Irish History will host the third talk in its 18th Annual Michael F. Crowley Lecture Series on Monday, November 4 at 6:00 pm at the Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center.
Three guest speakers, Shai Afsai, Sean O’Callahan, Ph.D., and John F. Quinn, Ph.D., will present a talk entitled “Ireland’s Jewish Community and Newport’s Irish Rabbi.” An overview of the history of Ireland’s Jewish community, dating from the late nineteenth century, will be presented, as well as a spotlight on the life of Newport’s famed Irish rabbi, the late Theodore Lewis. Rabbi Lewis, who died in October 2010, led Touro Synagogue’s congregation from 1949 to 1985.
Following the lecture and Q&A, a reception with complimentary light hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar will be held.
The lecture fee is $5 for Museum of Newport Irish History members and guests. New members are welcomed with a waived lecture fee when they pay the 1-year Annual Membership Fee of $20. Space is limited and reservations are required.
More From What’s Up Newp
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “Those Who Wish Me Dead”
- Renowned RI stone carver Nick Benson to create unique art installation at Farm Fresh RI
- Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project to resume training classes
- How America’s partisan divide over pandemic responses played out in the states
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author