Fortress of Nightmares returns to Fort Adams this month for its fifteenth season with new adventures and attractions.
Fortress of Nightmares is the largest and last of the season fundraiser for the year that benefits the Fort Adams Trust. The haunted attraction features: “Tunnels of Terror, Mayhem in 3D, Paranormal 360 and ‘Spirits Rising,” that premiered in 2018.
“Tunnels of Terror” are an intricate maze of ghoulish horror built inside the Fort Adams underground tunnel system. The attraction features a number of scare-actors who will jump-out of their hiding places and provide guests with a high-startle experience. “Mayhem 3D” is another maze, utilizing black light to provide visitors with a unique haunt experience. Scare-actors will be hiding in plain sight, but with the use of makeup and 3D elements, they won’t be easily spotted until it’s too late. “Paranormal 360” is a 360 degree Virtual Reality experience with VR (Virtual Reality) headsets, synchronized video and live special effects of scents and smells.
The new “Spirits Rising” is a haunted maze built by volunteers from “Haunts for the Homeless”, a non-profit group based out of Westerly, RI, whose mission is to bring awareness to homelessness. A portion of ticket of revenue from Fortress of Nightmares will go to the non-profit charity.
Prior or upon conclusion of the event, guests can purchase food & beverage, right outside the main gate. There will also be event themed merchandise for purchase at the ticket office.
“Each year we add new, fun and scary elements to Fortress of Nightmares as we have done this year with “FEAR APP” stated Dave Prata, lead creative director for the event in a press release. “We come up with successful attractions and enhancements by visiting other Halloween festivals throughout the country and learn about their exhibits. The “FEAR APP” experience will be the only one of its kind in the area where guests use their mobile devices and our new app to enhance their experience inside the fort” he further added.
“Last year’s Fortress of Nightmares was rated the #1 top overall attraction for Halloween by “RIHauntedHouses.com” which is a testament to the efforts of the staff and volunteers that put on the event,” offered Rob McCormack, Director of Visitor Experience for the Fort Adams Trust in a prepared statement. “We hope to win the award again this year with the four major attractions to the overall event,” McCormack mentioned.
Fortress of Nightmares’ dates are: Fridays and Saturdays October 11th – October 26th from 7-10 P.M. each night. Tickets are $15 per person with participation in “Paranormal 360” an additional $7. It is recommended that attendees be at least 12 years old and up.
For more information and to purchase tickets on Fortress of Nightmares go to: http://fortressofnightmares.com
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits