The Jamestown Arts Center (JAC) announced today that they will be hosting the 22nd annual MANHATTAN SHORT Film Festival, the world’s first and only global film festival. According to JAC, they are the only venue in Rhode Island to host the festival.
The festival will be held as part of their monthly film programming on Friday, Sept. 27th, 7:00 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 28th, 7:00 p.m. and Sunday, Sept. 29th at 2:00pm at the Jamestown Arts Center.
The same ten films will be shown at each screening, with an audience of over 100,000 film-lovers in 400 cities spanning six continents viewing them simultaneously.
The Final Ten MANHATTAN SHORT finalists hail from seven countries with films from France, Iran, Canada, Finland, and Germany alongside two films from the USA and a record three from the United Kingdom. These Final Ten films represent the best short films from among 1,250 submissions from 70 countries received by MANHATTTAN SHORT for 2019, testimony to the enduring vibrancy and creativity of short films worldwide.
The MANHATTAN SHORT Final Ten are:
Nefta Football Club (France), Debris (USA), Driving Lessons (Iran), Tipped (Canada), Sylvia (UK), The Match (Finland), This Time Away (UK), Malou (Germany), A Family Affair (UK) At The End of the World (USA).
You Be the Judge!
Each audience member of the festival is handed a ballot upon entry to let them become a film critic for the festival, voting for Best Film and Best Actor out of the Final Nine. MANHATTAN SHORT salutes the creative talents involved with the directing, producing and acting involved with creating a short film. The votes are directly sent to MANHATTAN SHORT HQ to be announced at ManhattanShort.com on Monday Oct 7, at 10AM EST
MANHATTAN SHORT began in 1998, when Founding Director Nicholas Mason screened 16 short films on the side of a box truck on Mulberry Street in Little Italy, New York City. One year later, the festival moved uptown to Union Square Park, New York City, and has since become a worldwide phenomenon. MANHATTAN SHORT is the only festival of its kind, screening films globally to an audience of over 100,000 for an entire week.
Film Screenings: Manhattan Short Film Festival – At A Glance
WHAT: Manhattan Short Film Festival Screenings
WHERE: Jamestown Arts Center, 18 Valley Street, Jamestown RI 02835
WHEN: Fri. Sept. 27th 7pm + Sat. Sept. 28th 7pm + Sun. Sept. 29th 2pm
TICKETS: $10 online and at the door
More info at www.jamestownartcenter.org.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport