Discover the best, biggest and most popular events happening in and around Newport, Rhode Island this September
For a full listing of events, visit our Events Calendar.
September Secret Garden Tours- September 6th – 8th
Join the Benefactors of the Arts September 6-8th for self-guided tours of some of the most beautiful, prestigious gardens and properties in historic Newport. The tour features nine gorgeous gardens that are dotted On & Off Bellevue Avenue, the Drive and the Kay/Catherine neighborhoods. More info at www.secretgardentours.com.
49th Annual Newport International Boat Show – September 12 – 15
One of the largest in-water boat shows in the country, NIBS features a full range of powerboats and sailboats from both domestic and international manufacturers. More info at http://www.newportboatshow.com/.
Newport Wooden Boat Show – September 12 – 15
Bowen’s Wharf Newport Wooden Boat Show, concurrent with Newport International Boat Show & Newport Brokerage Boat Show, is a gem in the midst of this exciting city-wide event which encompasses over half a mile of Newport waterfront! In-water basin and land displays will again feature Hinckley, Hunt and other Down East-style boats. You’ll also find a beautiful array of boats, tours and activities in the water at Bowen’s Wharf Marina this September. More Info at http://www.bowenswharf.com/events-1/newport-wooden-boat-show
Fourth Annual Culinary Adventure: Speakeasy Soiree – September 14
Join the Newport Historical Society for the Fourth Annual Culinary Adventure, Speakeasy Soirée, on Saturday, September 14, 2019 from 6-9pm at the Colony House. Find your way to the Speakeasy at the Colony House for an evening of 1920’s style entertainment, drinks and food, and a few surprises! Featuring soprano jazz vocalist Elise M. Roth, and costumed interpreters who will perform period dancing. Come dressed in your festive attire and use the password to enter through the secret doorway! Tickets are available now online at NewportHistory.org.
4 Bridges Ride – September 16
Four bridges. Twenty-six miles. One unique experience. The 4 Bridges Ride is a not-for-profit event that allows cyclists the one-of-a-kind opportunity to bike across Rhode Island’s beautiful bridges. All proceeds from the 4 Bridges Ride are donated to charity. More info at http://www.4bridgesride.com/.
Annual Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival – September 19-22
Held in one of the most spectacular settings in America, this remarkable weekend experience features hundreds of wines from around the world, fabulous food, cooking demonstrations by nationally-renowned chefs, live and silent auctions and a gala celebration. More info at http://www.newportmansions.org/events/wine-and-food-festival.
Inaugural Harbor Lights Newport – September 20 – 21
Kick off the start of the fall season along the Newport waterfront at the inaugural Harbor Lights Newport on September 20 – 21, 2019. Stroll, shop and dine along the illuminated waterfront in Newport decorated with colorful lights and decor. For more details: discovernewport.org/event/harbor-lights-newport
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits