The City of Newport announced this afternoon that per a request by the applicant, a petition for a special use permit and variance to the dimensional requirements for permission to demolish the existing structures and construct a 150-room hotel on Waites Wharf is not expected to be heard during this month’s meeting of the Zoning Board of Review.
The petition of Harbor Realty, LLC, had been scheduled to be taken up by the City’s Zoning Board of Review on Monday, Aug. 26. However, following a request by the applicant, the matter is expected to be continued until October, according to Tom Shevlin, Communication Officer for the City of Newport.
In addition to appearing before the Zoning Board of Review, the applicants are also required to go before the Planning Board and Technical Review Committee. Dates for those hearings have not yet been determined but are expected soon.
Applications for all matters appearing before the City’s Zoning Board of Review can be found online at www.CityofNewport.com/ZoningBoard.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits