Dozens of residents rallied in front of Newport City Hall prior to and during last night’s Zoning Board Meeting. Their ask? A “Pause For Newport…a Five year Moratorium against new building projects”.
Along with the rally, the group has a petition on change.org – HIT PAUSE: PRESERVE our CITY BY THE SEA with a ZONING MORATORIUM[ngg src=”galleries” ids=”7″ display=”basic_slideshow” arrows=”1″]
Photos provided by Beth Cullen
It’s a busy time for hotel construction in Newport. Construction of The Brenton Hotel, a 57-room hotel, at 31 America’s Cup, and Hammet Wharf Hotel, a 84-room hotel at the former Newport Yachting Center, are currently underway and are expected to be complete in 2020.
A 150-room hotel, restaurant. banquet and wedding facility has been proposed on Waite’s Wharf.
Carpionato Group also recently announced plans for the Newport Grand property, which would include Hyatt Place (140 rooms) and Hyatt House (120 rooms).
The owners of Fifth Element have also have been given the green light by Newport Zoning Board to construct a 40-room hotel on Broadway.
More From What’s Up Newp
- Aquidneck Land Trust awards 13 grants to local community, neighborhood groups through Merritt Neighborhood Fund
- Newport Polo’s 20th annual charity gala will benefit Jeffrey Osborne Foundation
- Preservation Society of Newport County receives prestigious award from Garden Club of America
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: May 14 – 16
- Beavertail Lighthouse, Watch Hill Lighthouse are being given away for free