Dozens of residents rallied in front of Newport City Hall prior to and during last night’s Zoning Board Meeting. Their ask? A “Pause For Newport…a Five year Moratorium against new building projects”.
Along with the rally, the group has a petition on change.org – HIT PAUSE: PRESERVE our CITY BY THE SEA with a ZONING MORATORIUM[ngg src=”galleries” ids=”7″ display=”basic_slideshow” arrows=”1″]
Photos provided by Beth Cullen
It’s a busy time for hotel construction in Newport. Construction of The Brenton Hotel, a 57-room hotel, at 31 America’s Cup, and Hammet Wharf Hotel, a 84-room hotel at the former Newport Yachting Center, are currently underway and are expected to be complete in 2020.
A 150-room hotel, restaurant. banquet and wedding facility has been proposed on Waite’s Wharf.
Carpionato Group also recently announced plans for the Newport Grand property, which would include Hyatt Place (140 rooms) and Hyatt House (120 rooms).
The owners of Fifth Element have also have been given the green light by Newport Zoning Board to construct a 40-room hotel on Broadway.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits