via Memorial Funeral Home
Mary C. Donovan, 90, of Newport, Rhode Island, passed away on August 17, 2019, at Village House Nursing Home.
Mary was born in Newport, RI to the late John I. Martins, and Margaret (Harrington) Martins. She was the wife of Joseph T. Donovan for 62 years.
Mary is survived by her daughter, Karen Gallagher and husband Terry of Middletown, RI, her son Joseph T. Donovan, Jr and wife Mary of Newport, five grandchildren, Patrick Donovan (Liz), Erin Donovan O’Donald (Doug), Katherine Donovan, Ian Gallagher, Conor Gallagher, and four great-grandchildren, Lily and Maggie Donovan, and Dugan and Sullivan O’Donald. She also leaves her sister-in-law, Carol Martins of Newport and several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Joseph T. Donovan, and brothers, John, William, Fredrick, Peter, Paul, and her twin, Joseph, also her sisters, Dorothy, Philomena, and Marguerite.
Mary will be remembered fondly for her sparkling blue eyes, her laugh, and her unconditional devotion to her family.
Sincere appreciation to the staff of Village House and Atria Aquidneck Place for their tender care and love for Mary over the past four years.
Calling hours will be held from 8:00 to 9:00 AM, on August 24, 2019 at the Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway in Newport, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 9:30 AM at St. Joseph’s Church Broadway at Mann Ave in Newport. Burial will follow at St. Columba Cemetery in Middletown.
Memorial donations may be made to Village House Activity Fund, 70 Harrison Avenue, Newport RI 02840, or to Atria Aquidneck Place Activity Fund, 125 Quaker Hill Lane, Portsmouth RI 02871.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates