In accordance with a presidential proclamation, Governor Gina M. Raimondo is directing U.S. and Rhode Island flags at all state agencies and buildings to be flown at half-staff until sunset on Thursday, August 8, 2019 in honor of the victims of this weekend’s shootings.
“I am heartbroken that 29 more people lost their lives in less than 24 hours across two shootings this weekend,” said Governor Gina M. Raimondo in a press release from her office. “I’m praying for all those harmed in El Paso and Dayton–the killed and the wounded, their devastated families, and their shellshocked communities. Each attack like this demands that we change our laws to prevent another. It is long past time to take action against gun violence.”
Raimondo also asks Rhode Islanders to lower their flags to half-staff as a mark of respect.
More From What’s Up Newp
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author
- International Tennis Hall Of Fame acquires tennis-inspired art collection from Hall of Famer Gianni Clerici
- Mask mandate to be lifted for those fully vaccinated on May 18; most remaining COVID-19 restrictions to be lifted on May 21
- John E. Fogarty Foundation provides more than $175,000 in grants to 31 organizations across Rhode Island
- Obituary: Berit M. Hattendorf