By Nick Bello– Media Operations Assistant, Newport Gulls
Newport (16-12) defeated the Upper Valley Nighthawks (16-12) on Mark Weed Memorial Night at Cardines Field. For the Gulls, Makenzie Stills picked up the win while William Carnley was saddled with the loss.
Newport’s bats got hot early as Hayden Jones drove in the first runs of the game in the bottom of the first with an RBI single that scored both Scott Holzwasser and Isaiah Thomas. Hudson Haskin then stepped up to the plate and launched a two-run home run to left to put the Gulls up 4-0. Newport would go on to have another big inning in the second, putting up five runs thanks to singles fromHolzwasser, Thomas and Haskin as well as a double by Chris Hamilton.
The Gulls would tack on three more runs throughout the game as they down the Nighthawks 12-2. The pitching was on fire for the Gulls as Stills picked up six strikeouts in six innings of work and allowing only one earned run.
The Gulls bullpen was also solid in the win as Pat Maybach and Carson Rudd were both able to keep the Nighthawk bats at bay.Maybach allowed one earned run, going 1.1 innings. Rudd would seal the deal for Newport, striking out four batters in 1.2 innings of work.
Newport will now head to Vermont on Saturday for a 6:30 matchup against the Mountaineers.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges
- Got storm photos? Send us your pics by 9PM Wednesday
- Obituary: Molly Falconer de Ramel
- Grey Sail Brewing celebrating 10 years
- LIVE BLOG | Rhode Island cancellations, closures, and delays