The 13th Norman Bird Sanctuary 5k was run on Saturday morning, hundreds of runners enjoyed the beauty of Norman Bird Sanctuary and Sachuest Point. All proceeds from the race benefit Norman Bird Sanctuary’s mission of wildlife conservation and environmental education.
The 13th Annual 5K also honored the memory of David Leys Jr., a longtime Aquidneck islander and friend who helped create this special event. After a courageous five year battle against ALS, Dave passed away in August of 2017
Maddie O’Neill, 13, of Wakefield was the top female finisher, while Adrian Massie, 41, of Newport was the top male finisher.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13