The Preservation Society of Newport County announced today that the 2019 Newport Flower Show, themed Audubon: Artistic Adventures, will take place at Rosecliff from Friday, June 21 through Sunday, June 23, 2019.
America’s premier summer flower show will celebrate bird expert and painter John James Audubon (1785-1851), who declared that he only came alive when “in the field” of this “wild new land” now known as the United States. Audubon’s artful hand created a pictorial journal not only of the birds he loved but also of their habitats. Newport Flower Show attendees will travel with this visionary naturalist on their own “Artistic Adventure” throughout the weekend.
Newport Flower Show highlights include the Opening Night Party on Friday, June 21; Dinner & A Movie presented by Brooks Brothers, including a film viewing of “Greenfingers” on Saturday, June 22;Afternoon Tea Reception on Friday, June 21; Champagne & Jazz Brunch on Sunday, June 23; a Lecture Luncheon with internationally known lifestyle expert India Hicks on Friday, June 21 and with gardening expert Laura LeBoutillier of GardenAnswer.com on Saturday, June 22.
Guests will also have the opportunity to view The Preservation Society of Newport County’s exhibition John James Audubon: Obsession Untamed on the second floor of Rosecliff, with private viewings taking place on select dates and times throughout the weekend. Dinner & A Movie attendees can add an Audubon Exhibition Private Viewing to their evening on Saturday, June 22, and additional private exhibition viewings will take place at 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. during the Flower Show on Sunday, June 23.
The front lawn of Rosecliff will be transformed into an aviary of both real birds and birds made of plant materials, with vibrant gardens inspired by pink flamingos and blue herons, circular gardens based on Audubon’s paintings of birds, topiary peacocks made entirely of flowers, and much more. Bartlett Tree Experts will sponsor the setting for 15-20-minute pop-up lectures and demonstrations by noted plant experts, flower designers and gardeners on the front lawn throughout the weekend.
For more details and event times, pricing information, and to purchase tickets for the Newport Flower Show and the special events and featured lectures throughout the weekend, visitwww.NewportFlowerShow.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)