Get those shoes laced up, the Citizens Bank Pell Bridge Run is back! The 9th annual run/walk is scheduled for Sunday, October 20th and registration is open with early bird pricing. The 4-mile run/walk starts in Jamestown and finishes in Newport, taking pedestrians across the famous Newport Claiborne Pell Bridge on the only day of the year that foot traffic is permitted. 100% of event proceeds from the Citizens Bank Pell Bridge Run are donated to local and regional non-profits.
This year’s Citizens Bank Pell Bridge Run is a part of the larger celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Claiborne Pell Bridge. Since the event began in 2011, more than 25,00 runners and walkers have participated. Geoff Nelson, an anti-money laundering investigator at Citizens Bank from Providence, Rhode Island, has won the race the last seven times — in a row. Following his seventh win last year, Nelson reflected on the event. “There were a couple of little guys with me for the first few hundred yards,” he said in a prepared statement. “I remember being the little kid that would be the one who would always sprint out to the front. It’s cool that whole families run and walk this event together.”
100% of event proceeds are donated directly to partner charities via the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Foundation. Applications are open for nonprofits of all sizes and missions to apply to be a partner charity in 2019. Visit the Citizens Bank Pell Bridge Run website (www.pellbridgerun.com) for information on how to apply. Applications must be received no later than June 1, 2019. In the last few years, the event has raised more than $100,000 each year for its partner charities.
Registration, course information, guidelines and more are available at www.pellbridgerun.com
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million