The Newport International Polo Series, Presented by Brahmin is pleased to announce that will open its 28th season on Saturday, June 1st, 2019 at 5pm with USA vs. Chile. The highly anticipated return of Chile this year will mark their 7th appearance since 1996.
The teams will be introduced on the eve of the match at the Season Kick-off Celebration thrown by the Clarke Cooke House and Brahmin on Bannister’s Wharf on the Newport harbor front.
“We are excited to start the season with a great competitor like Chile in our lineup this year. Chile’s return has been eight years in the making,” explains USA captain Dan Keating in a prepared statement, “and they are on a hot streak with a mission to reclaim the perpetual Liberty Bowl Trophy”.
Chile ranks among the world’s elite polo playing nations, with recent acclaim including prestigious victories in FIP World Championship and the UK Queen’s Cup among other international titles.
After 6 periods of play, called chukkers, the match will conclude with the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Toast & Trophy Presentation, as well as an autograph signing to meet the players, and a special Après Polo fiesta at the christening of the Davitt Pavilion & Patio Bar with authentic cuisine, wine pairings and lively rhythms.
The polo grounds are located at historic Glen Farm, 250 Linden Lane, Portsmouth RI. Tickets to the polo match and associated events are available online at www.nptpolo.com.
May 31 Season Kickoff Cocktail Party 7pm Clarke Cooke House
& Team Dinner
June 1 Opening Day: USA vs. Chile 5pm Apres Polo: Con Mucho Gaucho
8 Newport Cup 5pm VIP Lounge
15 USA vs. Scotland 5pm Apres Polo: Laird’s Supper
22 Newport vs. Boston 5pm VIP Lounge
29 East Coast Open Finals 5pm Apres Polo: Championship Dinner
July 6 USA vs. Ireland 5pm Apres Polo: Irish American BBQ
13 Newport vs. Pittsburgh 5pm
14 All Charity Day 5pm
20 USA vs. Italy 5pm Apres Polo: Amici Riuniti
27 Newport vs. Palm Beach 5pm VIP Lounge
Aug 2 Diamonds Are Forever 7pm Marblehouse
9 USA vs. South Africa 5pm Apres Polo: Lobsterbake
10 Newport vs. Washington 5pm
17 USA vs. Jamaica 5pm Apres Polo: Jamaican Jerk Grill
24 Newport vs. New York 5pm VIP Lounge
31 USA vs. England 4pm Apres Polo: Sailor’s Delight
Sept 7 Newport vs. Baltimore 4pm
14 USA vs. New Zealand 4pm Apres Polo: Asado Lamb Roast
21 New England Pro-Am Challenge 4pm VIP Lounge
28 Finals 4pm
Schedule subject to change
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck