During the school year, IYRS’ spectacular Restoration Hall hums with energy as students in the boatbuilding and restoration program hone their skills to the soundtrack of whirring saws and buzzing machinery. This Sunday, the boats will be out on the water and the waterfront hall will be hosting music of a very different kind….
On Sunday June 2nd at 4pm, the Newport String Quartet will perform works by Mozart, Debussy and Missy Mazzoli in the unusual and atmospheric surrounds of the Restoration Hall at IYRS (449 Thames Street).
The afternoon will feature Mozart’s very first string quartet, which he composed at the tender age of fourteen (String Quartet in G Major, K 80) alongside Debussy’s thrilling String Quartet, with its evocative and shimmering soundworlds. The quartet will also perform Missy Mazzoli’s intriguing Death Valley Junction – a sonic depiction of an isolated town on the border of California and Nevada which is home to three people, and consists of a café, a hotel, and a fully functional opera house!
Concert-goers are invited to celebrate the Newport String Project’s sixth season and mingle with the musicians at a post-concert reception, generously sponsored by Tapped Apple Winery and Gray Sail Brewery.
Tickets are $25/person – $100/benefactor and available at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/newport-string-quartet-season-finale-at-iyrs-tickets-60749318848
All proceeds support the performance and educational programming of the Newport String Project.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13