The Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County (ACA) invites the community to celebrate their 25 years of supporting artists at Raise Up The Arts at Vue in Newport on June 5th!
This festive event will celebrate ACA’s award recipients and our community’s long legacy of supporting the arts.
The 2019 recipients of ACA’s new Artist Awards, grants of up to $500 to support Newport art projects that benefit our community, will be honored and will perform at Raise Up the Arts!
Newport String Project is a music performance and youth mentoring initiative that aims to build a community that crosses boundaries of generation, heritage, and economic circumstances through access to inspiring musical experiences for all.
Newport Children’s Theatre is dedicated to enriching the lives of young people by offering opportunities in the performing arts that engender self-confidence, inspire both individual expression and ensemble teamwork, and provide positive role modeling, thereby encouraging community outreach through quality theatrical productions for children, teens, and families.
This inspiring night will also feature:·
Guest speaker Sebastian Ruth, Founder and Artistic Director of Community MusicWorks and recipient of a 2010 MacArthur “genius grant.” Ruth will share his thoughts about and experiences with creating community through the arts.
A celebration of the third annual Tinney Family Arts Scholarship winner, Portsmouth High School senior Caleb Hilyard. This $2,000 scholarship is awarded to a graduating high school senior who has demonstrated artistic talent and the ambition to strive for excellence.
Liz and Emlen Drayton will be honored as this year’s Dominique Award recipients for their stalwart support of the arts and non-profit organizations in the Newport community.
Plentiful tasty treats from VUE, a cash bar, and a silent auction of special experiences.
Raise Up The Arts Awards Party & Fundraiser will take place on Wednesday, June 5th from 6 pm to 8 pm at Vue, One Casino Terrace, in Newport.
All proceeds from Raise Up the Arts! will go towards funding ACA’s new Artist Awards. The only grant specifically for artists of any discipline in the six towns of Newport County, the Artist Awards champion exciting and interesting arts activities and events presented in and for our community. Tickets are $40 for non-members and $25 for members. Presenting sponsor tickets are $100.
Tickets can be purchased at https://acaraiseupthearts.eventbrite.com.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits