The City of Newport has published the agenda for Newport City Council’s next Regular Council Meeting.
Scheduled for Wednesday, May 22 at 6:30 pm, here’s what City Council will discuss.
The agenda and any updates, can best be viewed here.
CITY OF NEWPORT
DOCKET FOR THE COUNCIL MEETING
MAY 22, 2019
THE MEETING WILL BE HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS,
CITY HALL, 43 BROADWAY, NEWPORT, RI
The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held on
May 22, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
CITIZENS’ FORUM: (Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk) The Citizens’ Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may addressthe Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular Council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
1. PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed Biennial Budget FY 2020 – FY2021
a. Budget Change Sheet General and Parking Funds
b. Ordinance Appropriating Revenues (First Reading)
c. Ordinance Amending Title 3, Personnel (First Reading)
d. Ordinance Amending Chapter 1.14 entitled, “Specific Penalties for Certain Violations” (First Reading)
2. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
a. Minutes of the meetings held March 27, 2019 (continued from May 8, 2019) and April 10, 2019 (Approve)
b. Special Events:
1) Fatface Corporation, d/b/a Fatface’s 3 Years in Newport Community, 172 Thames St.; May 25, 2019 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
2) Bowen’s Wharf Co., Inc., d/b/a Tall Ship Providence Port Visit, Bowen’s Wharf; May 31, 2019 through June 3, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
3) Corinthian Events, d/b/a P&MD Dinner, Marble House, 596 Bellevue Ave.; June 10, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
4) Ernest E. Simmons, d/b/a Music Basketball, MLK Courts, The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Park; June 15, 2019 from 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
5) St. John’s Church, d/b/a Secret Garden Lunch @ St. John’s the Point; June 15, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
6) The Rev’d Cannon Anne Marie Richards, d/b/a Trinity Church Strawberry Patch 2019, One Queen Anne Sq.; June 15, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
7) Fort Adams Trust, Inc., d/b/a Music at the Fort, Fort Adams State Park; June 20, July 18, August 15 and September 19, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
8) The Rose Island Lighthouse Foundation, Inc., d/b/a Light Up Your Summer, Newport Shipyard; June 22, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
9) Rhode Island Society Sons of the Revolution, d/b/a Newport Independence Day Celebration, in and around Washington Sq. July 4, 2019 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
– Communication from Roy D. Lauth, 1st Vice-President, re: request to waive license fee and for the City to provide police detail
10) Sail Newport, d/b/a Newport Regatta, Sail Newport, 72 Fort Adams Drive; July 5 through July 7, 2019 from 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
c. 2019 Holiday Selling License Renewals (List Attached)
d. 2019 Waste Hauler License Renewals (List Attached)
e. Holiday Selling License, New, Meeka, LLC, d/b/a Meeka, 31 Franklin St.
f. Holiday Selling License, New, Kevin Sullivan, d/b/a Newport Originals, 424 Thames St.
g. Holiday Selling License, New, Luxotica of America, Inc., d/b/a Sunglass Hut, 204 Thames St.
h. Holiday Selling License, New, Nutrition House, Inc., d/b/a A Market Newport, 181 Bellevue Ave. corner unit
i. Fortune Teller License, Renewal, New Location, Marie Miller, d/b/a Pauline’s Palm & Tarot Card Readings, 5 Fair St.
j. Communication from P3GM, re: Bike Share Program for the City of Newport (Receive)
LICENSES & PERMITS
3. Victualing License, Renewal, Lindsey Kusic, d/b/a Gooseberry Concession and Grill, Gooseberry Beach, Ocean Ave.
4. Victualing License, New, The Nitro Cart, LLC, d/b/a The Nitro Bar, 2 Pond Ave.
5. Victualing License, New, Nutrition House Inc., d/b/a A Market Newport, 181 Bellevue Ave., corner unit
6. Victualing License, New, Tunyamai Pichetshote, d/b/a Tin Can Crab Shake, 472 Thames St.
7. Victualing License, New, LRH, LLC, d/b/a Lobster Roll Heaven/Il Forno Italiano, 372 Thames St.
8. Entertainment License, Expansion, Class A Indoors, @ The Deck, LLC, d/b/a @ The Deck, 1 Waites Wharf, to expand indoor entertainment from 12:00 midnight to 1:00 a.m. (Hearing)
9. 2019 Entertainment License Renewals (List Attached)
10. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS & COMMISSIONS
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, and Hospitality Commission
Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission– Katherine Brandeis (5-year term ending 5/22/2024)
Historic District Commission– Jeffrey Moniz (alternate member, no expiration date)
Waterfront Commission – Robert Anton (3-year term ending 1/11/21)
11. Plastic Waste Reduction Act- L. Ceglie, J. Bova
12. Amending Section 5.12.040 of the Codified Ordinances, entitled, “Number of License Permitted” (First Reading)
COMMUNICATIONS AND PETITIONS
13. Communication from Colleen Burns Jermain, Superintendent of Schools, re: Update on the Rhode Island Department of Education Letter of Intent and RHS Kickoff event
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
14. Action Item #5850/19 – RE: Innovate Newport Business Incubator Project (w/accompanying resolution) – continued from May 8, 2019
15. Action Item #5851/19 – RE: Proposal Award # 19-037- Engineering Services for Newport Water Infrastructure Replacement Plan Update (w/accompanying resolution)
16. Action Item #5852/19 – RE: Award of Bid # 19-040 – July 04th Fireworks Display to be held on July 13th (w/accompanying resolution)
17. Action Item #5853/19 – RE: Award of Contract – RFP 19-042 – Easton’s Beach – Parking Pay Stations (w/accompanying resolution)
18. Action Item #5854/19 – RE: Ordinance Amendment Chapter 2.120.010 – General Fee Schedule-Easton’s Beach (w/accompanying ordinance)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
1. Class F Daily Liquor License: Clean Ocean Access, d/b/a World Oceans Day/Fundraiser, Easton’s Beach Rotunda; June 6, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
2. Class F-1 Daily Liquor Licenses:
a. The Rose Island Lighthouse Foundation, Inc., d/b/a Light Up Your Summer, Newport Shipyard; June 22, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
b. Fort Adams Trust, Inc., d/b/a Music at the Fort, Fort Adams State Park; June 20, July 18, August 15 and September 19, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
c. Sail Newport Inc., d/b/a Newport Regatta, Sail Newport, 72 Fort Adams Drive; July 5, 2019 through July 7, 2019 from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
LICENSES AND PERMITS
3. Action Item #5855/19 – RE: Show Cause Hearing: Unity 3, LLC, d/b/a Area – Violations of the Conditions of the Class BL Alcoholic Beverage License – Abandonment of License
Laura C. Swistak
May 15, 2019
HOLIDAY SELLING RENEWALS
|All Fired Up Pottery||Lee Segal & Irene Parthenis||452 Thames St.|
|ReSails*||Hooley World Wide Inc.||43 Long Wharf Mall*|
|*Change of d/b/a||*Change of Location|
|Wagon Wheel||Wagon Wheel Inc.||246 Thames St.|
WASTE HAULER LICENSE RENEWALS
A Star Waste Disposal Inc., PO Box 2485, Pawtucket, RI 02861
Gulfeagle Supply, Inc., 2900 East 7th Ave., Tampa, FL 33605
Island Rubbish Service Inc., 8 Swinburne St., Jamestown, RI 02835
K. Scott Construction & Disposal, Inc., 21 Ashland Road, N. Scituate, RI 02857
MTG Disposal, LLC, 19 Industrial Way, Seekonk, MA 02771
Pasquazzi Bros., Inc./Heather Construction Corp., 464 Dyer Ave., Cranston, RI 02920
RPKK, Inc., PO Box 126, Wood River Junction, RI 02894
Waste Connections of Rhode Island, Inc., 2208 Plainfield Pike, Johnston, RI 02919
Waste Management Newport, 65 Halsey St., Newport, RI 02840
Entertainment Licenses by Class (restrictions noted)
As has been past practice, the Council will meet at 6:20 p.m. to discuss docket items. This pre-meeting will be held in the Second Floor Conference Room. The public is invited to attend. The docket, along with all supporting documents, can be viewed on the City of Newport website: www.cityofnewport.com – “Council Agendas and Minutes.” Council Meetings can be viewed on Cox Cable, Channel 18; check local listings for dates and times.
Newport City Hall is accessible and meets ADA requirements. INDIVIDUALS REQUIRING AN INTERPRETER OR OTHER ACCOMMODATIONS MUST NOTIFY THE CITY CLERK’S OFFICE (845-5351) OR CITY MANAGER’S OFFICE (845-5429) ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING.