Imagine yourself sitting in a very stunning colorful garden with a variety of trees and flowers, the sun shining down, a cool breeze grazing your face, and the sound of birds happily chirping away. Sounds delightful, right?
The Newport Secret Garden Tour is looking for volunteers for the upcoming June Tours which will take place in the city’s historic Point Section on June 14-16 from 10 AM to 5 PM. These beautiful gardens, genuine labors of love that are primarily maintained by the owners, are shared with the community to help raise funds for the arts education programs in the Island’s public schools. As a thank you for volunteering, you will receive a free ticket for the tour that is valid all weekend long to visit the 12-14 lovely gardens on the tour. And who doesn’t love free tickets?
Generally, two host/hostesses are assigned per garden, for each 3 to 4 hour shift. Morning and afternoon shifts are available. Volunteer with a friend and make a day of it. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer or have questions, please email: email@example.com with your preferred date and shift time.
Since 1984, the organizers and supporters of The Secret Garden Tour have been dedicated to enhancing art education and cultural programs in Aquidneck Island’s Public Schools, funding dozens of programs in music, theater and fine arts for local schoolchildren. To date, The Secret Garden Tour has given more than $1 million to these programs.
In Spring 2014, Conde Nast Traveler Magazine named Newport, Rhode Island “one of the best walking cities in the U.S.” and specifically named the spring Secret Garden Tour through the city’s historic Point section as one of the highlights.For additional information, be sure to visit the website: www.secretgardentours.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million