Our site doesn’t have a paywall and all of our content and newsletters are always free to read.
Instead, reader support and advertising from local businesses power our locally owned, independent newsroom. If you like what we do, a contribution of $8/month means more than you’d think, and any amount helps.
Join the Newport Historical Society on a Walking Tour of downtown Newport, RI starting April 1, 2019 through May Friday-Monday. Purchase tickets online at NewportHistoryTours.org or call 401-841-8770. $15 per person, $10 Newport Historical Society members, active duty and retired military with ID; $5 for children ages 5-12. Tours depart at 10:30am from the Museum of Newport History & Shop at 127 Thames Street, Newport, RI.
- Discover Colonial Newport: Hear stories of entrepreneurship, African American heritage and religious diversity during Newport’s colonial period.
- Golden to Gilded: From Newport’s colonial Golden Age to Gilded Age summer colony, discover the transformation of the city and its people.
- Road to Independence: Riots and rebellions, enemies and allies! Learn about Newport’s role in the American Revolution.
- Rogues & Scoundrels: See where scoundrels lived, pirates profited, and criminals were punished. Find out why this colony was known as “Rogue’s Island.”
Newport History Tours presents a Tour of the Month on a focused topic by a guest guide. Reservations required as space is limited. Tours cost $20 per person, $15 Newport Historical Society members and active duty military with ID. 401.841.8770. Tours depart at 11am from the Museum of Newport History & Shop, 127 Thames Street.
- April 20, 2019 at 11am – Creative Survival
Discover the early history of Newport’s people of color, enslaved and free. This tour looks at the places where slaves lived and labored, along with locations where free blacks built their enterprises and supported a new local industry. It concludes in the co