The Newport Music Festival (NMF) announced today their their 51st season will take place from July 4-28, 2019.
The concert series will present 43 concerts and events in the Newport mansions, including The Breakers, The Elms, and the Chinese Tea House, as well as other venues, such as Castle Hill Inn, The Casino Theatre, The Bohlin, Blithewold, and Aldrich Mansion.
Highlights of the 2019 Season, according to NMF, include;
- Chang-Yong Shin – Debut artist and First Prize Winner of 2 International Piano Competitions – on July 6th
- Ten-piece jazz band The Harlem 100 on July 13th, celebrating the Harlem Renaissance
- An evening with Broadway star Sierra Boggess on July 20th
- Piano virtuoso Marc-André Hamelin‘s long-awaited return to the Festival on July 21st
- Jon Lehrer Dance and international musicians share the stage at The Casino Theatre on July 27th
- Annual Gala with Metropolitan Opera Star Nathan Gunn on July 28th to benefit NMF’s Education and Outreach program
First Prize winner of the Hilton Head International Piano & Bachauer Competitions, Chang-Yong Shin is sure to captivate audiences with some of the most difficult pieces ever written for piano, including Ravel’s Gaspard de la Nuit. Sierra Boggess will grace the Breakers with selections from her Broadway roles in Phantom of the Opera and Disney’s The Little Mermaid. For the 51st Annual Gala, Metropolitan Opera star Nathan Gunn will perform opera arias and songs from the Great American Songbook.
A variety of last summer’s popular concerts will be making a reappearance this season, including the Musical Garden Party, Sunrise Concerts, and Opera Night. These events will feature festival favorites, pianist Daniel del Pino and mezzo-soprano Renée Rapier, and outstanding newcomers, tenor Jonathan Burton and harpist Bridget Kibbey. Marc-André Hamelin will return with a vast and challenging repertoire as well as Charlie Albright with his remarkable piano improvisations.
NMF will offer three free family-friendly concerts, including a Fourth of July Extravaganza and two additional free concerts at the Newport Art Museum on Tuesday, July 9, and Tuesday, July 16.
NMF invited the public to join them at The Castle Hill Inn on July 15 and for the 51st Annual Gala at Ochre Court on July 28 for two truly elegant evenings.
Tickets are now on sale for all concerts and can be purchased at www.NewportMusic.org.
More From What’s Up Newp
- HGTV Dream Home in Portsmouth hits the market, can now be yours for $2.39 million
- New York Yacht Club submits challenge and evolutionary draft protocol for 37th America's Cup
- Obituary: Minnie Parker
- What Sold: 29 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (May 3 - 10)
- What's Up at The Wayfinder and Nomi Park: Rhode Race activities, poolside yoga, eats, cocktails, and more