President of the Senate Dominick J. Ruggerio (D-Dist. 4, Providence, North Providence) has named Sen. Louis P. DiPalma (D-Dist. 12, Middletown, Little Compton, Newport, Tiverton) to serve as senior Deputy Majority Leader.
“It is a true honor to be named as Senior Deputy Majority Leader by President Ruggerio and I am looking forward to working closely with Senate Leadership in order to advance the issues that Rhode Islanders care about the most, including support services for our most vulnerable citizens, education, and ensuring that every Rhode Island resident can provide for themselves and their families,” said Senator DiPalma in a prepared statement.
The senior Deputy Majority Leader works closely with the Majority Leader, who is the putative head of the majority party in the chamber, to ensure that party members are properly informed on measures and votes coming before the body.
In addition to serving as first vice chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, Senator DiPalma serves as a member of the Senate Committee on Education.
Senator DiPalma was first elected in November 2008.
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend