Life long Newport resident, John Almeida, passed away on January 15, 2019. Mr. Almeida was a graduate of Rogers High School and served his country proudly during World War II as a member of the United States Army. He had been in charge of the motor pool on both Guam and Manila after they had been liberated by American forces. John’s battalion was one of the first groups of occupying forces in Japan after the signing of the treaty. John followed his father, Jesse, as the head gardener for Mr. and Mrs. Howard Cushing’s estate The Ledges. He held this prestigious position from 1947 until his retirement in 2014. In fact, John was born on this property in 1926 and spent most of his life living there. John quite often credited his training as a horticultural gardener to his many peers that held similar positions on and around Aquidneck Island. One of his many specialties was caring for the wide variety of cymbidium orchids that were a favorite of Howard Cushing, Sr. John saw to it that The Ledges was always a beautiful property, both outdoors and inside the Cushing mansion, which was always filled with the most beautiful flowers grown by John. In addition to John’s gardening interests, he was an avid Boston Red Sox fan. He hardly ever missed a game broadcast on television or radio.
John is preceded in death by his wife Irene Almeida. He is survived by his son John, and daughter-in-law Artie Almeida of Altamonte Springs, FL, along with his sister Adelaide Vidinha of Middletown, RI.
Visitation will be held from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm on Tuesday January 29, 2019 at the O’Neill – Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring Street, Newport. A Mass of Christian burial will be held at 10:00 am on Wednesday January 30, 2019 at St. Augustin’s Church, Carroll Avenue in Newport. Interment will follow at St. Columba Cemetery, 465 Brown’s Lane, Middletown.
Donations in John’s memory may be made to St. Augustin’s Church, PO Box 357, Newport, RI 02840.
For more information and online condolences, please visit www.oneillhayes.com.
This obituary originally appeared on O’Neill Hayes Funeral Home, it has been republished with permission. See the full obiturary here – https://oneillhayes.com/tribute/details/1249/John-Almeida/obituary.html#content-start
More from What’s Up Newp
- 23 Open Houses to check out in Newport County this weekend
- Obituary: Eileen Schultz English
- Obituary: Joseph R Casale
- Gerry Goldstein: Horse sense from a cowboy philosopher
- Opinion: Lucy’s Hearth needs the community’s support now more than ever
- National Grid making progress in restoration efforts
- Celtic Woman’s “Postcards From Ireland” arriving at Mohegan Sun Arena on March 18, 2022
- What’s Up This Weekend: Salve Fall Festival Weekend, Halloween Hilarity, Trunk or Treat, and more
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels