In a press conference this evening at the Rhode Island Emergency Management Agency, Governor Raimondo provided an update on National Grid’s response to the gas outage in Newport Country. The Governor also discussed several steps that have been taken to help provide food for all those impacted by the outage:
- For the rest of the week, free breakfast and lunch will be provided at the Florence Gray Community Center on York Street. Breakfast is available from 7:30am to 9am, and lunch is available from 11:30am to 1pm.
- For families who participate in Newport’s Food Backpack program, backpacks will be available from 1pm to 2pm at Pell Elementary on Dexter Street. For families who are not enrolled in the program, food backpacks will be available from 2:30 to 3:30pm.
- Senior meal sites at Edward King House and Middletown Senior Center remain open and Meals on Wheels deliveries will continue through the week.
Governor Raimondo also reiterated today that all those impacted by the outage who don’t have heat should find another place to stay until heat is restored. National Grid will reimburse the costs of a hotel and is also providing vouchers for pre-booked rooms. Vouchers are available at Gurney’s on Goat Island or at Gaudet Middle School in Middletown.
The Governor and her team will remain in close contact with National Grid until this situation is resolved and will continue to provide regular updates to the public.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13