The City of Newport has announced that they will be opening several warming centers over the coming days as colder than normal temperatures again settle over the region.
Warming Center locations open when the weather forecast calls for low temperatures, or a combination of precipitation, wind chill, and temperatures that “feel like” temperatures of 20° F or below.
With cold weather forecast through Feb. 1st, warming centers will be open at the following locations:
- Edward King House | 35 King Street | Monday – Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Newport Public Library | 300 Spring Street | Monday: 12:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Tuesday – Thursday: 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Friday & Saturday: 9:00 am to 5:30 pm; Sunday: 1:00 to 5:00 pm
- Seamen’s Church Institute | 18 Market Square | Daytime hours: 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. | January 30, 31 & Feb 1 – 4 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- The Florence Gray Community Center – Main Lobby | 1 Shimoda Way | Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Donovan Manor – Chapel Street Side Lobby | 19 Chapel Street | Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
WARMING CENTER GUIDELINES
Individuals using the Warming Centers must comply with all rules and policies and adhere to the following guidelines:
- Please bring your own reading material and any other personal items you require.
- Amplified sound devices are prohibited.
- Please supply your own water and snacks.
- Please note that there are no medical services provided at the Centers.
For a list of warming center locations across Rhode Island, visit List of Warming Centers in Rhode Island.