Newport, RI – The voters spoke on November 6th and elected their new City Council, and now the new City Council has spoken and chosen their new chairwoman/Mayor.
Jamie Bova, Newport City Councilor At-Large elect, has announced that she has lined up the votes to officially be appointed chairwoman/Mayor at the official Inauguration Ceremony on Saturday.
“I have always believed “that’s just how it’s been done” is not good justification for a decision, and that belief is reflected by my actions on the city council. It is why the voters of Newport chose me to represent them a second time, and why many councilors-elect have asked me to serve as council chair,” Bova recently wrote in a Letter To The Editor that was provided to and published on What’sUpNewp.
This will be Bova’s second term on Newport City Council.
The City City Council-elect members for At-Large are Jeanne-Marie Napolitano, Jamie Bova, Susan Taylor, and Justin McLaughlin. Angela McCalla will represent Ward 1, Lynn Ceglie will represent Ward 2, and Kate Leonard will represent Ward 3.
For those who don’t know (or need a reminder) how Newport’s government works, the Council is comprised of seven members; one representative is elected from the City’s three voting wards and four are elected at-large, all for two-year terms. The Mayor is elected by the Council from among the four at-large councilors.
Bova caught up with us to talk about her new position on the Council, her priorities, and what lies ahead for Newport.
The City of Newport’s City Council-elect and the School Committee-elect invite the public to their Joint Inauguration Ceremony on Saturday, December 1st at 12 pm at the Rogers Highs School Auditorium. There will be a reception immediately following in the Rotunda outside of the auditorium.
For more information or to contact a member of the Newport City Council, visit http://www.cityofnewport.com/government.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates