Newport, RI – This Thursday, newportFILM is screening Momentum Generation, telling the story of a ragtag community of teenage surfers and how they brought their sport to unprecedented heights.
This film features surfing greats such as Kelly Slater, Rob Machado, Taylor Knox, Ross Williams, Shane Dorian, and Taylor Steele.
newportFILM has announced that film subject and surf film director Taylor Steele, named one of surfing’s “Ten Most Influential People” by Surfer Magazine will be joining the event in person for a post-film Q&A. This Q&A will be moderated by Sid & Danielle Abbruzzi, owners of Water Brother’s.
This film is scheduled for 6:30 pm on Thursday, November 29th at Casino Theatre. Tickets are $15 per person.
At the event, newportFILM will host a food drive to benefit the Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center. For each non-perishable food you bring to the screening, you’ll receive a raffle ticket for a chance to win some awesome prizes from Water Brothers!
For more information, visit https://www.newportfilm.com/film-events/films/momentum-generation.
ABOUT THE FILM:
In the late ’80s, surfing was still in the early stages of its ascent to broad popularity and entrenched professionalization. On the north shore of O’ahu, a ragtag group of teenage surfers congregated in a small house with easy access to the infamous surfing spot known as the Pipeline. Some, having already built careers surfing smaller waves in Florida and California, were there to prove themselves against the best surfers in Hawaii, while others were young locals looking for a group of guys to surf with—and all sought a community of people on whom they could depend, in ways they never found in their own volatile home lives. This younger generation, living together like canned sardines, would go on to become the most influential contingent of athletes the sport had seen. They were the Momentum Generation, and they brought surfing to unprecedented heights.
Through a combination of archival footage and interviews with this legendary crew, including surfers Kelly Slater, Rob Machado, Shane Dorian, Kalani Robb, Taylor Steele, and Pat O’Connell, Momentum Generation directors Jeff and Michael Zimbalist transport audiences to the moment when this microcosm of a sport catalyzed a seismic shift—the moment when a group of guys, fueled in equal measure by camaraderie and competition, broke records, won world titles, and redefined a sport forever.
Run time: 103 min
Director(s): Jeff Zimbalist, Michael Zimbalist
Producer(s): Jeff Zimbalist, Michael Zimbalist, Colby Gottert, Greg Little, Justine Chiara, Karen Lauder, Laura Michalchyshyn, Lizzie Friedman, Tina Elmo
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library
- Governor, RIDOH, Newport City officials, community partners to host canvassing effort on Wednesday to encourage vaccination