What’sUpNewp Radio Edition on AM 1540 WADK Newport: Thursday, September 6th
Co-Host: Tim Towey
Guest at 1:15 pm: Author Donna Lucey
The Newport Art Museum and the Chanler at Cliff Walk will co-host a book signing and talk with author Donna M. Lucey, held on the Terrace at The Chanler at Cliff Walk, on Sunday, September 9 at 4 pm. Lucey will discuss her new book, Sargent’s Women: Four Lives Behind the Canvas, which shares the lives of four remarkable women painted by the renowned American portraitist John Singer Sargent. The hotel’s namesake, Elizabeth Chanler, is one of the four extraordinary figures in Ms. Lucey’s biography, and her portrait by Sargent graces the book’s cover.
Guest at 1:45 pm: Avery “Whip” Seaman, OHPRI Executive Committee Member
Rhode Island’s Official Tall Ship SSV Oliver Hazard Perry is taking a pause while the non-profit organization Oliver Hazard Perry Rhode Island (OHPRI) rethinks its strategy for the ship’s financial sustainability, according to a press release on Wednesday from the nonprofit 200-foot three-masted sailing school vessel, which was seven years and $12 million in the making when she embarked on her maiden sail in 2015, will not journey south next Spring as it has done the past two years but instead remain in Rhode Island at a soon-to-be-announced location.
What’s Up Newp Radio Edition
Tune into What’sUpNewp Radio Edition with Ryan Belmore every weekday at 1 pm on AM 1540 WADK. It’s where to get the scoop on what’s happening, new and to do in Newport County and across Rhode Island. Special guests, interviews, entertainment, commentary and more make this a can’t-miss hour of live and local radio.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits