On Sunday, August 12, 2018 from 10AM to 2PM, the Newport County YMCA, Fort Adams Trust and the CMAK Foundation, will host an affordable, family end of summer celebration called “Chasing Summer” at Fort Adams. The event is the celebration of the Y’s Race4Chase Kids Triathlon Program. Every YMCA in Rhode Island will be represented at the event. There will be music, food, games and plenty of fun!
The Race4Chase Program aims to provide kids, aged 6-12, with a safe, healthy, non-competitive environment to discover the sport of triathlon. Designed as a 6-week goal-oriented summer program, participants are provided with expert instruction in swimming, cycling, running, strength training and flexibility and being taught the fundamentals of good nutrition, under the supportive guidance of coaches, lifeguards and instructors to get ready for a USAT-sanctioned race. Implementing a custom-designed training program the coaches provide the youth athletes with all the equipment, knowledge and one-on-one support they need to become tri-athletes and lifelong athletes.
The Program is created in memory of Chase Kowalski. Chase was an amazing son, brother, and friend who was taken from the world on 12/14/12 in the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy. He loved sports of all kinds and had an incredibly competitive spirit. His family’s vision is “to turn tragedy into triumph by healing and strengthening our families and communities”. The Kowalski family wanted to capture Chase’s competitive spirit and vitality in creating a charity in his honor with a focus on health and wellness for children and their families. The CMAK (Chase Michael Anthony Kowalski) Foundation has pursued programs and initiatives that encourage personal improvement, healthy lifestyles and strong family and communities.
“This is the 2nd year the YMCA will host the Chasing Summer event at Fort Adams. With over 150 young triathletes competing from Y’s across Rhode Island, we know this year’s event will be one to remember. We are grateful for all our sponsors; Fort Adams Trust, Gray Matter Marketing, Brick Alley Pub, Franssen Landscapes LLC, Yote.Me, Ragged Island, Newport Tent Company, Bike Newport and the CMAK Foundation for their support allowing these young athletes the chance to train all summer with the Race4Chase Summer Camp. With the Support of these community partners, the Y is able to offer this program for free to those that apply. All proceeds from the Chasing Summer event go right back into the Race4Chase Program,” Mike Miller, CEO, Newport County YMCA.
“Fort Adams Trust is proud to be able to partner with the YMCA to host the Race4Chase program in Rhode Island and hope the “Chasing Summer” event will continue to grow every year,” Joe Dias, Executive Director, Fort Adams Trust.
All proceeds from Sundays event will go right back into the Race4Chase program that provides scholarships for the participants. Suggested donations are $5 for a child, $10 for an adult and $25 for an entire family.
Video from 2017
For more information on this event, or to purchase tickets, please visit https://newportymca.org/event/race4chase-chasing-summer-event/.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates