Newport Grand Casino closes permanently at 11 pm this evening. Tiverton Casino Hotel opens at 10 am on Saturday. John Taylor Jr., Executive Chairman of the Board of Twin River Worldwide Holdings, the owner of Twin River Event Center in Lincoln, Tiverton Casino Hotel in Tiverton, and Newport Grand Casino in Newport, joined me today at 1:45pm on What’s Up Newp Radio on WADK 1540AM to chat about Newport Grand’s last day, what’s ahead for Tiverton, and more.
Also, hear about how one local barbershop is offering free haircuts for those heading back to school and how some local school teachers are crowdsourcing to fill needs in their classrooms.
Tune into What’sUpNewp Radio Edition with Ryan Belmore every weekday at 1 pm on AM 1540 WADK. It’s where to get the scoop on what’s happening, new and to do in Newport County and across Rhode Island. Special guests, interviews, entertainment, commentary and more make this a can’t-miss hour of live and local radio.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits