Greg Abate, who is listed in Downbeat Magazine’s latest critics poll as among jazz music’s top rising stars, brings his uptown jazz quintet for a high powered night of music at the Newport Playhouse, Thursday, August 2.
Known for his straight-ahead jazz and bee-bop style, Abate’s performance is part of Bridgefest, linking the folk and jazz festivals, and comes on the eve of the opening of the Newport Jazz Festival. It’s a great way to get a jump start on a jazz-filled weekend.
Abate, a prolific and accomplished songwriter, who performs more than 200 concerts a year worldwide, is third of 20 in Downbeat’s critics poll “Rising Star Alto Sax.” The poll appears in the magazine’s August edition. Last year, he also finished third in “Rising Star Alto” and in 2013 was 12th as “Best Alto Sax.” Besides Abate, the quintet includes Phil Grenadier (trumpet), Matt DeChamplain (piano), Paul Del Nero (bass) and Luther Gray (drums).
Abate, joined What’sUpNewp’s Frank Prosnitz on this edition of The Open Forum on AM 1540 WADK.
The concert, a joint effort by the Newport Playhouse and WhatsUpNewp, will be held at 7:30 p.m. at the Playhouse, 102 Connell Highway, Newport. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 day of the show and can be purchased through the Playhouse website at www.newportplayhouse.com or on www.WhatsUpNewp.com.
The Latest From WUN
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society
- ‘Rock The Mansion’ raises more than $150,000 for Newport Mental Health
- Obituary: Grace Elaine Kinnunen
- Tony® Award-Winning Musical “Million Dollar Quartet” coming to Boston’s Boch Center October 29th + 30th