The Newport Gulls are on a tear as of late picking up their fourth straight victory on Friday night with a 7–1 win over the Mystic Schooners. During this span, Newport has scored over five runs in each of their victories. The offense has caught fire and the Gulls are playing their best baseball of the season as the New England Collegiate Baseball League playoffs approach. Newport is now just one game behind Mystic for the third and final spot in the postseason with just 10 games left to go.
The Gulls got on the board first after an RBI single from Jack Blomgren in the second inning. Their lead would grow all the way to 7–0 after home runs by Dalton Reed, Kody Hoese, and Jayson Gonzalez.
Starting the game for the Gulls was Russell Smith who threw six scoreless innings and only gave up four hits. He also struck out seven batters in that span as he earned his second win of the season.
Mystic’s only run was scored off of Holden Cook in his first career appearance for the Gulls in the seventh inning. Cook gave up one hit, two walks, and one earned run in just 0.2 innings pitched.
Offensively, the Gulls’ bats were hot with eight players recording a hit. The most productive hitter was Dalton Reed who had two hits, a home run, and two RBI.
The Gulls (17 – 17) travel to Old Mountain Field on Saturday night to take on the in-state rival Ocean State Waves (18 – 15). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)