Newport (19 – 20) dropped its second-straight game on Thursday night with a 7–0 loss to the Winnipesaukee Muskrats (13 – 26). David Stiehl wore the loss for the Gulls while Justin Pearson earned the win for the Muskrats. Newport is now half a game behind Mystic (20 – 20) for third place in the Southern Division.
After Winnipesaukee struck in the bottom of the first on a three-run homer by Steven Passatempo Stiehl settled in, allowing just one hit in his next four innings of work. Home runs proved to be costly as Cacy Harper powered a two-run shot over the leftfield fence to give Winnipesaukee a 5– 0 lead. The Muskrats would add two more later in the game, but it would not matter with the way Newport’s offense struggled at the plate.
The Gulls produced just five hits in the ballgame and did not have a player tally multiple hits. Logan Harvey recorded Newport’s only extra-base hit with a two-out double in the top of the ninth. The Gulls struck out thirteen times and did not have a baserunner reach third throughout the entire game.
Newport will be back in action on Friday night when they host the New Bedford Bay Sox (16 – 24) for the sixth and final matchup of the season. First pitch from Cardines Field is set for 6:35 p.m. on Volunteer Appreciation Night where 250 2018 Gulls Team Card Sets will be given away at the ballpark courtesy of N.E. Veterinary.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13