In the sixth installment of the inter-league series between the Gulls and the Wareham Gatemen of the Cape Cod Baseball League Newport took home the win by a final score of 7 – 6. Head-to-head, the Gulls hold onto a 4-1-1 record and have now won two straight games after losing its opener in New Bedford on Tuesday night. Tyler Mattison got the start for the Gulls and allowed just two runs on five hits while fanning five Gatemen. He would go on to pick up the no-decision, while Mike McCaffrey earned the win.
Newport fell behind early after Isaac Collins belted a two-run homer over the right-field fence in the bottom of the first inning. The Gulls quickly cut the lead in half thanks to a solo homerun off the bat of Dalton Reed, his second long-ball in as many nights. In the ensuing inning, Kody Hoese delivered with a two-out, two-RBI single to give Newport a 3 – 2 lead. Mattison kept Wareham at bay for the remainder of his outing while the Gulls offense added another run in the seventh on an RBI triple by Cole Austin that drove in Jack Gethings.
After McCaffrey recorded two quick outs in the bottom of the seventh, the Gatemen took advantage of a Newport error and a walk when Dante Baldelli plated two runners on an RBI double. Luke Roskam added two more on a two-run homerun, giving Wareham a 6 – 4 advantage. Down two, Newport reclaimed the lead in the top of the eighth on Zach Hogueisson’s two-run homer and John Mazza’s sacrifice fly which scored Gethings from third. Ahead 7 – 6, it was Dylan Cloonan from the University of Miami who came in for the six out save. In two innings, Cloonan recorded three strikeouts without allowing a hit.
Dalton Reed went three-for-four on the night while Jack Gethings tallied three hits including two doubles and two runs-scored.
Newport returns to NECBL action on Friday night when they face-off against the North Adams SteepleCats at Cardines Field, first pitch set for 6:35 p.m.
More from What’s Up Newp
- 23 Open Houses to check out in Newport County this weekend
- Obituary: Eileen Schultz English
- Obituary: Joseph R Casale
- Gerry Goldstein: Horse sense from a cowboy philosopher
- Opinion: Lucy’s Hearth needs the community’s support now more than ever
- National Grid making progress in restoration efforts
- Celtic Woman’s “Postcards From Ireland” arriving at Mohegan Sun Arena on March 18, 2022
- What’s Up This Weekend: Salve Fall Festival Weekend, Halloween Hilarity, Trunk or Treat, and more
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels