Beginning at 6:30 pm on Friday, June 22, the Newport Art Museum in partnership with Sail Newport is pleased to host a very special documentary screening featuring exclusive, extensive, intimate and never-before-shown coverage of one of the most influential and innovative artists of the 20th century, Reflections on a Mermaid: Roy Lichtenstein (1994), contextualizing Lichtenstein’s iconic creative process.
Tickets for Newport Art Museum members are $10, $15 for non-members and $5 for youth, and are available at www.newportartmuseum.org.
Following the film, director Theodore Bogosian, “Young America” boat builder Eric Goetz, and “Young America” Skipper Kevin Mahane will be available for questions, which will be followed by a reception. This event joins the ranks of the many events and educational programs the Museum currently offers in its galleries at 76 Bellevue Avenue, Newport.
About the Film
Presenting in-studio creation, gallery openings and installations of his internationally-renowned Mermaid collection, this half-hour documentary celebrates Roy Lichtenstein’s unique achievements by bringing to younger generations and serious collectors alike some playful and detailed insights into the lasting value of art.
“Reflections on a Mermaid: Roy Lichtenstein” (1994) also chronicles the creative quest of the U.S. Olympic medal-winning sailor Kevin Mahaney, who also skippered the 1995 America’s Cup contender “Young America” that is famously covered by Lichtenstein’s Mermaid. Seeking to cement his legacy and demystify Lichtenstein’s creative process, Mahaney aspires to organize an unprecedented show of the artist’s entire Mermaid collection. By enlisting the cooperation of many distinguished galleries and museums from New York and New England to Japan, Mahaney somehow manages to mount an extraordinary show in an improbable location — for a Mermaid.
More from What’s Up Newp
- 23 Open Houses to check out in Newport County this weekend
- Obituary: Eileen Schultz English
- Obituary: Joseph R Casale
- Gerry Goldstein: Horse sense from a cowboy philosopher
- Opinion: Lucy’s Hearth needs the community’s support now more than ever
- National Grid making progress in restoration efforts
- Celtic Woman’s “Postcards From Ireland” arriving at Mohegan Sun Arena on March 18, 2022
- What’s Up This Weekend: Salve Fall Festival Weekend, Halloween Hilarity, Trunk or Treat, and more
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels