A full slate of activities and attractions at the Volvo Ocean Race Newport race village will expand further with the opening of the One Ocean Exploration Zone at Fort Adams on Saturday. The Exploration Zone is presented by 11th Hour Racing which sponsors the Vestas team in this edition of the Volvo Ocean Race.
The purpose of the One Ocean Exploration Zone is to educate and inspire visitors to learn about ocean conservation, exploration, and sustainable programs. The exhibition was organized by Sail Newport and funded by 11th Hour Racing. The Exploration Zone will be open during regular race village hours.
The interactive exposition will set up on the Parade Field inside at Fort Adams. The opening ceremony will take place from 11 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. The event will be emceed by Brad Read, Executive Director of Sail Newport and the featured speakers will include Rob MacMillan, co-founder of 11th Hour Racing, Martha McConnell, Ph.D., co-chair of the One Ocean Exploration Zone, Colleen Jermain, superintendent, Newport Public Schools, and Dave McLaughlin, co-chair, One Ocean Exploration Zone, and Executive Director of Clean Ocean Access.
Among the guests on hand for the opening will be Bristol, RI native Charlie Enright, skipper of Vestas/11th Hour Racing, and Vestas Team Director Mark Towill.
The following organizations will be participating/exhibiting at the One Ocean Exploration Zone:
- UN Environment Programme
- Clean Ocean Access
- Volvo Ocean Race Sustainability Education Program
- Volvo Ocean Race Science Program
- Clean Seas
- The Shackleton Climate Project
- RI Sea Grant
- Save the Bay
- Conanicut Island Sailing Foundation
- Rozalia Project
- Sail Newport
- Sailors for the Sea
- Seamen’s Church Institute
- Herreshoff Marine Museum
- The University of Rhode Island
- Newport Film
- Bike Newport
- Newport Public Schools
- Edward Bedford Whaling Museum
- Audubon Society of RI
- Whale & Dolphin Conservation
- Mystic Seaport
- International Yacht Restoration School of Technology & Trades
- Rose Island Lighthouse
- Oliver Hazard Perry
- US Sailing Reach Program
- RI Resource Recovery Max Man
- United States Forest Service Woodsy Owl
For more information on the Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover, visit www.volvooceanracenewport.com.
More From What’s Up Newp
- Obituary: Paul S. Lutz
- Join more than 20,000 subscribers, sign up for What’s Up Newp’s free daily newsletter
- Be part of ‘Newport RI World Oceans Day’ with Clean Ocean Access
- Aquidneck Land Trust awards 13 grants to local community, neighborhood groups through Merritt Neighborhood Fund
- Newport Polo’s 20th annual charity gala will benefit Jeffrey Osborne Foundation