Our weekly column “Six Picks” begins in Newport tonight (Thursday) and takes us around the state this weekend. We’ve got some jammin’ local gigs and a couple of national touring acts in town – read on for all the details.
Newport to Nashville Thursday at (Newport)
The Newport Playhouse and Cabaret runs an excellent series of singer-songwriter events known as “Newport to Nashville.” This week, the theme is “Songwriters in the Round” with three top local artists, Kevin Herschen, Avi Jacob and Russ LaCasse. Note: This is an early show, doors at 6PM, music at 7PM – details here.
“A For Autism” Thursday at Parlour (Providence)
“A for Autism” is an annual benefit for organizations that support initiatives for special needs populations. The Parlour in Providence hosts the event Thursday night with a stellar line-up of local stars including Ava Callery, Mark Milloff, Malyssa BellaRosa and many more. This year, proceeds benefit Gates of Harmony in Ashaway, RI. Details here.
Christopher Paul Stelling Friday at Columbus Theatre (Providence)
Singer-Songwriter Christopher Paul Stelling plays the Columbus Theatre Friday night. The Newport Folk Festival veteran (he actually proposed to his wife on stage in 2015) is a highly respected songwriter. Indie band We are Here opens at 8PM. Details and tickets available here.
George Thorogood Friday at Twin River (Lincoln)
Guitar great George Thorogood has been around the block and back more than once. The star, who got his start in the late 1970’s, brings his hard drinkin’, hard rockin’ sound to Twin River on the “Rock Party Tour” Friday night. Always a good time if you’ve never been. A few tickets remain – Details here.
Steve Martin and Martin Short Saturday at PPAC
Comedians/Musicians Steve Martin and Martin Short have enjoyed careers on the big screen, the small screen and on stage. They’ll be in town at the annual PPAC gala Saturday night with their bluegrass band The Steep Canyon Rangers for a special show described as “an evening you will forget for the rest of your life.” Comedy and bluegrass – a combination that can’t be beat. Details here.
Jason Eady Saturday at Courthouse Center for the Arts (North Kingstown)
Fans of “outlaw” country music won’t want to miss Jason Eady at the Courthouse Center for the Arts in North Kingstown Saturday night. The Mississippi native has a stripped-down, roots-oriented sound, in the tradition of Merle Haggard, Guy Clark and Willie Nelson. Tickets and further details available here.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager