Representative Marvin Abney (D-Dist. 73, Newport, Middletown) was honored by the Texarkana Independent School District as a 2018 Distinguished Alumnus last week at a ceremony held in Texas.
Representative Abney graduated from Dunbar High School in 1968, which is located in Texarkana, Texas.
“This was a great honor to be recognized by my high school alma mater and it was an absolute pleasure to speak with the current students in attendance to share my story of how hard work and perseverance pays off later in life. I will always cherish my time growing up in Texarkana and it was wonderful to return for this honor,” said Representative Abney, Chairman of the House Committee on Finance, in a prepared statement.
Since 1992, the Texarkana Independent School District has sponsored a Distinguished Alumni Awards program to recognize the outstanding personal and professional achievements of their alumni. The former Texas High School and Dunbar High School graduates are models to current and future alumni in terms of their professional, leadership and ethical standards.
Texarkana, Texas is located in northeast Texas, on the Texas-Arkansas border.
The Latest From WUN
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education
- Wilbury Theatre Group launches Pay-What-You-Can ticket structure for all performances